Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Back to Colorado!


After I graduated college I spent a winter in Breckenridge, Colorado to live the life of a ski bum. I definitely achieved that goal, but gained so much more. I moved to this state not knowing a single sole and left with more friends and amazing memories than I could ever have imagined. Ever since, I have been dying to go back to this amazing place that truly stole a huge part of my heart. Okay enough with the seriousness...let’s get to the eating and drinking!



I finally had the perfect excuse to go back. My very best friend Kelsey who I have known, as we like to say, "from the womb" moved to Boulder, Colorado this past year and I was able to get away for a long weekend to stay with her.

Most people do not like traveling...

I am not one of those people.

I don't get stressed out, I always arrive early, I always bring entertainment, and I always give myself a small indulgence to make the trip enjoyable.

SEE EXAMPLE BELOW
 


I enjoy the quite time to myself and the anticipation for my destination.



I arrived around 12:30 and was shuttled into Boulder by my lovely partner in crime Kelsey. After I had settled in at her apartment it was off to happy hour! (Oh how I love HH)

* Readers be warned, this vacation was what I like to call a "Food Crawl". Kelsey and I are both foodies and enjoy the art of eating, and we are good at it.

What else can I say but we ate well, drank well, laughed well and lived well on this vacation. M F K Fisher would be proud!



We started to wander around beautiful downtown Boulder along the red brick streets and found ourselves on the roof top of Rio Mexican Restaurant.

Boulder is hot in the summer, like "find air conditioned activities at any cost" kind of hot. But Rio has a great roof top looking out on to the mountains, and has misting sprinklers all around the patio, to help all its outdoor guests keep cool. What also helped us keep cool were dangerously strong Margaritas. 


These delicate looking bevies are not so subtly alcoholic. The restaurant has a 3 marg maximum. After one of these lovely libations, the black clouds hovered ominously and we headed to our next "inside" location to wait out the afternoon rain storm. We found ourselves in the French bistro Brasserie Ten Ten in time for their HH menu.



As we looked through the menu, I spotted bone marrow and there was no way I wasn't trying it. I have wanted to try bone marrow for the longest time, ever since seeing Anthony Bourdain suck it down on the Travel Channel.



BONE MARROW

fleur de sel, port poached shallots,

ten ten dijon& baguette

and

a Stella
It was truly a decadent snack and helped us pass the time while the rain poured. We indulged in the chat and gossip we had been missing over the past months and were able to walk home after the rain subsided, feeling satisfied and excited for the rest of our time together!

After we rested at her casa we got ready for my first night out on the town. We met one of Kelsey's friends Laurie downtown, who had driven up from Denver for the night. We had a blast! We started at Centro for a few drinks and a snack to last us the night.
There were so many delicious looking items on the menu; one I still wish we would have tried was an Avocado Salsa with pork belly, SOOO BASICALLY PORKBELLY GUAC....??? I know, I know I'm still kicking myself for not trying that one. But no worries, our dish was as equally glutinous.
Lobster Nachos

With Pork and Green Chilies.
Crazy good with a cold beer on a hot night.
After we put a few (ahhem) calories in our stomachs, we were ready to hit the bars for a few drinks and some serious lady talk. It was truly a lovely first day back in the CO.
And can you believe this was only day one?
I told you, FOOD CRAWL.
Stay tuned for day two, it will go down in history as one of best HH marathons I have ever completed. And only Kelsey could have kept pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment